WELCOME TO BROWARD COUNTY UNITED PHAGWAH/HOLI CELEBRATION... FESTIVAL OF COLORS & DIVERSITY
FESTIVAL OF COLORS & DIVERSITY
The 9th United Phagwah/Holi Celebration (UPHC)
2023 VENUE: Broward Regional Park & Cricket Stadium Pavilion 8 (parking available at shelter 6,7,&9) no parking on the grass please
3700 NW 11 Place Lauderhill FL (next to the Swap Shop)
ADMISSION: FREE Park fee $1.50pp
DATE: Saturday Marc h 11, 2023 11am-6:30pm
Funding for this project is provided in part by the Broward County Board of County Commissioners as recommended by the Broward Cultural Council, and Florida State Cultural Affairs
Purpose(s): The purpose is to promote, preserve, unite, inspire people of all race, color, gender, creed & age to come together to celebrate the rich cultural heritage of Indo-Caribbeans from Trinidad, Guyana, Jamaica, Suriname, other parts of the Caribbean, South America, and Indo-Asians. The massive portrayal of goodwill on this occasion should generate positive feelings towards one another and help to heal deep-seated divisions within our community and beyond. Phagwah is a social unifying force that brings people from diverse social backgrounds together. All Social barriers are removed for that one particular day with all the people embracing each other in fun and playful jollification. Participants should cast aside their differences and come together. Phagwah or Holi dates back to over 5,000 years. Phagwah marks the beginning of spring and ushers in a time of the sharing of goodwill and our bounty.
Phagwah or Holi- A Festival of Colors & Diversity, heralds the coming of spring, the triumph of good over evil, and Unity in the Community is a free family event. The Phagwah or Holi serves as a platform to unite the community, regardless of race, color or ethnic background. The event begins with the singing of traditional Phagwah songs and music, called Chowtaal, Biraha, Nagara, and Holi songs. Organizations and temples, non-affiliated groups and other dance organizations, members of the community are all invited to participate to sing and dance. At this event colored water and colored powder are sprinkled in the air and on participants, while artists are singing Holi or Chowtaal songs and are dancing to the rhythm of the Tassa drumming or Chowtaal singing, in happy abandonment. White clothes which everyone is encouraged to wear turns to a rainbow of colors, which vibrates and comes alive with the movements of the wearer. Participants become encapsulated with the festivities, moving in a trans-like manner.
In keeping with Jayadevi's mission, No alcohol will be served and all foods served will be vegetarian, as is customary and in keeping with tradition. This is a family-oriented event, where men, women and children even pets, regardless of social stature, race, or religious affiliation all come together under one umbrella-PHAGWAH/HOLI. This is where new friendship is forged, and long-lost friends are found. Jayadevi Arts In. ultimate goal is to UNITE all the festivals from different venues and different countries in one park as one festival conducted in the true and traditional sense for 5 hours. In keeping with traditions, the new and upcoming generations can preserve our culture and heritage the same way our ancestors did. Invitations are sent to all diverse organizations to participate in the festivities, vegan food, and traditional music appropriate to Phagwah. Phagwah or Holi is a celebration throughout the world!! Vendors selling Vegan food, snow cone, sodas, and water. On Sale colored powder (abir /gulal), water pumps, bubbles, buckets, T-shirts, water guns and more!!! Barrels of Abrac/colored water FREEE for your enjoyment. Children's playground next to pavilion. People Friendly dogs welcome but please keep them away from the pavilion which is the designated food and dry area.
Official Phagwah Celebration Rules:
· No alcoholic beverages allowed in park sectioned for Phagwah
· Religious songs (Phagwah Songs, Bhajans, and Chowtals) only during the traditional Phagwah Celebration 1-5pm
· Do not throw any abrac/abeer or powder on Police Officers/Security
· Each organization will be present 1 or 2 items on stage—singing, dancing, skit, a float, etc
· Youths MUST participate in organizations presentation
· Soda, water, powder, abrac/abeer will be on sale by committee only
· Vendor booths ---rented to Businesses to serve Vegetarian food only (no Drinks) Exclusive
· All participating organizations can assemble in any section of the park and can use tents, umbrellas, etc.
· All participating organizations can operate independently in the park
· Police Presence will be Present
· Everyone Must vacate Park by 930 pm
· Cultural program begins at 130-4pm please be at park to set up your section 1 pm.
· Please support vendors do not bring food or beverages to the park. Please purchase food and beverage from vendors.
UNITED WE STAND……….. DIVIDED WE FALL!!!!
Let’s Unite and play Holi!!!!